August is National Picnic Month, and for good reason. As summer is ending and fall is approaching, you’ve probably busied yourself preparing for back-to-school activities and schedules. But, don’t forget to make time for fun and family.
Picnics are the perfect opportunity to relax, focus on your family, and, of course, enjoy your food!
Whether it’s just grabbing something to-go and enjoying it al fresco, or preparing a more elaborate meal, these picnic spots are calling your name.
Picnic perfect spots:
- Lincoln State Park is a picnicker’s paradise. Have a picnic at a shelter house overlooking Lake Lincoln, then go for a hike, rent a paddleboat, or give fishing a try. This park will entertain your family for hours!
- Take a drive along the Ohio River Scenic Byway through the southern part of the county along Highway 66. The mighty Ohio River is the backdrop to beautiful sights, and there are plenty of places to stop and have a picnic, too.
- Picnics don’t have to be during the day! Pack a picnic and see a movie under the stars at the Holiday Drive-In.
- The kiddos will love picnicking at Jim Yellig Park. In addition to the covered picnic tables, this park has soccer fields, volleyball courts, and a playground.
- Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial has several spots to picnic. And your family will learn a little about Lincoln’s time in Indiana while you’re there. Stop by the Living Historical Farm to see chickens, cows, horses, and sheep.
- If you’re looking for an adults-only activity, local wineries Pepper’s Ridge Winery and Monkey Hollow Winery & Distillery are perfect for picnicking. Both wineries offer complimentary samples and allow visitors to bring their own picnic.
Try out any of these spots that are picnic perfect while you’re visiting Santa Claus, Indiana, and sites throughout Lincoln’s Indiana Boyhood Home.
You can also find additional outdoor recreation attractions here.