Santa Claus isn’t the only one coming to town for the holiday weekend! If you’re headed to Santa Claus, Indiana, and sites throughout Lincoln’s Indiana Boyhood Home, over the 4th of July Weekend, we’ve got you covered.
4th of July Weekend
Friday, June 30, 2017
- Plan on getting to town early, or staying the night before, so you’re able to enjoy the whole day!
- Head to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari. Spend the day zooming through the air on top-rated roller coasters. Ride the world’s longest water coaster, Mammoth, in a nationally ranked water park. And then top it all off with specialty sweets and treats throughout the parks.
- You’ll definitely want to stick around until 9 pm for Friday Night Fireworks at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari. This firework spectacular will wow you, even if you’re a little tired from your amazing day.
Saturday, July 1, 2017
- Grab breakfast, and maybe get a game of mini-golf in, at Frosty’s Fun Center.
- Stop by the Santa Claus Post Office to see postmarks from years past and send a postcard to someone from Santa Claus, Indiana.
- If you’re looking for an adults-only activity, stop by two local wineries: Monkey Hollow Winery & Distillery and Pepper’s Ridge Winery. Both spots are featured on the Hoosier Wine Trail in southern Indiana. Each winery offers complimentary wine samples and usually has live music on Saturday afternoons throughout the summer.
- Finally, make your way to the Rockport City Park and Lincoln Pioneer Village & Museum for the Abraham Lincoln Freedom Festival. There will be a car show, food vendors, live entertainment, a firework show, and more! Take advantage of the free admission — today only — at Lincoln Pioneer Village & Museum. Tour cabins and browse artifacts, like a hutch that was made by Abraham Lincoln’s father, Thomas Lincoln.
Sunday, July 2, 2017
- Visit the Santa Claus Museum & Village and write a letter to Santa, take a picture with a 22-foot-tall Santa statue, and wander through the Santa Claus Museum.
- Next, you’ll definitely want to make a stop at Santa’s Candy Castle. The frozen hot chocolate is amazing!
- Start your holiday shopping early with a trip to Santa’s TOYS, get a personalized ornament at the Santa Claus Christmas Store, and browse antiques at Mistletoe Antiques.
- After a morning packed with shopping, get outside and explore. Lincoln State Park is the next stop. You can go for a hike around Lake Lincoln, rent paddleboats or canoes, try your luck at fishing in the lake, or simply soak up some sun on the beach. Pack a picnic for your family and enjoy in the shade at one of the shelter houses. There are also grills available for use.
Monday, July, 3, 2017
- Today is all about sightseeing! Start at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey. Explore the grounds and don’t forget to stop at the unique gift shop.
- Make your way to the Monte Cassino Shrine just outside of St. Meinrad. Learn all about the history surrounding this shrine to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Next, head over to Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial. You could spend hours exploring this park. Learn all there is to know at the visitors center, and watch a short film shown every half hour. Go for a hike through land that the Lincolns once owned and stop by the Living Historical Farm. Finally, make sure you visit the memorials to Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Lincoln’s mother, and the Lincoln family cabin.
Tuesday, July 4, 2017
- If you’re staying in town for one more day, why not visit Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari one more time? Catch a show you missed during your first visit or take a new ride for a spin. Stay until 9:00 pm CT; you will be delighted by the 4th of July Fireworks Extravaganza.
There are so many activities for the whole family that will keep you busy all weekend long! Use this itinerary as a guide to make your 4th of July weekend getaway an unforgettable one. Browse overnight lodging options here. And, for a complete list of attractions and things to do, click here.