Abraham Lincoln is revered as one of the greatest presidents of all time. But, how much do you truly know about Abe?
Here are five fast facts about Abraham Lincoln:
- Lincoln’s mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln, his sister, Sarah Lincoln, and Abe all had February birthdays.
- Abraham Lincoln did not have a middle name. And, it’s said that he preferred to be called by his last name.
- President Lincoln established the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Perhaps farming the Indiana frontier had a lasting effect on him.
- President Lincoln established a national day of Thanksgiving after receiving a letter from Sarah Josepha Hale, a 74-year-old magazine editor.
- Abraham Lincoln never received a formal education including a college or law degree, but still managed to become a reputable lawyer. In fact, he won his first court case in Rockport, Indiana, representing himself against a local ferry boat company.
Learn more about Abraham Lincoln and the time he spent in Spencer County, Indiana, by visiting historical sights and landmarks throughout the area.